When I first came on staff at Cross Point 4 years ago, I decided to take a crash course in everything small groups. I knew if we were going to get to 80% of our adults in groups, we were going to need a lot of help. There were several books and blogs that helped shape my thinking along the way. Here are a few of my favorite books:
- Sticky Church by Larry Osborne. This book really opened my eyes to the power of message questions groups. They have maintained over 80% in groups for several years.
- Activate by Nelson Searcy and Kerrick Thomas. This is a great book about putting systems and semesters in place.
- Organic Community: Creating a Place Where People Naturally Connect by Joseph R. Myers. Groups cannot be just about programs or systems. True community has to occur organically over time.
- Small Groups With A Purpose by Steve Gladen. We took our entire groups team through this book. Saddleback has led the way and you will know why after reading this book.
- A Different Kind of Tribe: Embracing the New Small-Group Dynamic by Rick Howerton. I don’t know anyone who get’s missional living more than Rick. If you want to know where we should be heading with group life, then buy this book.